Monday, March 17, 2008

More on Quilt Backings....

I have a customer, who is also a friend, who brings me quilts with the most amazing pieced backings. I was telling her the other day that I usually cringe when I see a pieced backing because when I put it on the machine, invariably, the back does not roll on straight, it sags, and causes me no end of problems when I am quilting. How come, I told her, your backings are always so great!!, not to mention square. We got into a discussion about how she pieces her backing by matching the straight of grain of the fabric - not just by sewing pieces of fabric together to create a back! The fabric sometimes was pieced in large "strips" and I guess by matching the grain it is easier to do that. That is the secret to great pieced backs!! - match the grain of the fabric! I also told her I thought that she should teach a class on how to make great pieced backings!

DON'T FORGET about the Boston Terrier Club of Canada Rescue Wallhanging donation auction. We need your help!

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY
Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

Grandma Moses

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Thanks for that hint on great pieced backing. I will definitely pay more attention to that in the future.