Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy....


Christmas Eve... and a Merry Christmas to everyone! The cold has finally let up a bit so we should have a chance to go for a bit of a walk today. I am finishing quilting my Ornament Block quilt and just "putzing" around the house today. I wish everyone a blessed, joyous Christmas.....
Head on over to my friend Shirley's Blog, she has a post about Christmas Eve memories... and a beautiful photo of one of her quilts.
One of my fondest Christmas Eve memories is when I was a young child. My sister is 6 years younger than me, and she "believed" in Santa longer than I did (well, I actually still believe in Santa!). One year after we came home from Midnight Mass, I got to put out her Santa gifts, after she went to bed. She was receiving handmade Barbie doll furniture, made from redwood. It was the cutest little set - handmade blankets with the bunk beds, and little hangers in the wardrobe. She was so excited Christmas morning... I could hardly sleep waiting for her to get up!! When we had our family dinner last week, I brought up that Christmas and she said it was one of her best Christmas memories. Her adult daughter still has the doll furniture.
My favorite memories of Christmas with my children are filling Christmas stockings. My kids think that is the best part of Christmas and still can't wait to open their stockings. About a month ago, my son called and in the course of our conversation blurted out, "We still get our Christmas stockings, right"???
Last Christmas Eve day we had a traumatic event in our household. Our little Boston Terrier, Tooie woke up and couldn't breathe. At four o'clock in the morning on Christmas Eve day we were rushing to the vet. Tooie stopped breathing before we left and I performed CPR (DO NOT ask me how I did this, as I believe Angels guided me through the whole thing!). We got to the vet and found out he had a collapsed trachea caused by an elongated soft palette. He spent the day in the doggie ER and came home that evening. He did have to have surgery earlier in the year and seems to be doing better..... We are blessed and thankful to have our little Tooie still in our lives.
Merry Christmas
Thought for the Day
In the end, only kindness matters.
Jewel

4 comments:

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Debbie
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with no traumas this year! I hope Maggie and Tooie have a special day too.
I enjoyed hearing your childhood memories. My Grandad made me some dolls furniture that I still have too. One memory I have is getting a brand new bike and just sitting on it inside because I had tonsillitis!
Merry Christmas
Lindsay

Betsy said...

Hi Debbie, I am glad your dog is doing well.'Funny my kids save the stockings for last because they want to savor the moment.
Feliz Navidad.

Threeundertwo said...

What a sweet memory about your sister! I love stories like that.

So nice to find your blog! I love seeing people's lists of UFOs. I'm working on the Baltimore Bunnies too. (Not going to be done anytime soon though!)

Molly Mandeville Fryer said...

Love to hear your Christmas memories. Great story! Happy New Year~