Sunday, September 13, 2009

Some time off... and a great find....

was lucky enough to have 5 days off (in a row) and got down to some serious quilting!!! BUT.... I was also lucky enough to purchase a second hand serger for a great price... I have wanted one for awhile, but couldn't justify the price of a new one; and, when you buy second hand you never know what you are getting. I was able to buy this from a trusted source and try it out before I bought... so I am the proud owner of a Janome serger.... WooHoo!!


I spent the last 4 days doing my first Trapunto quilt (well, LARGE size trapunto quilt - LOL) I have done smaller pieces but was asked by a friend to do a larger piece as a gift for a family member. I am sooo pleased with the result - I followed Karen McTavish's instructions and I think it came out pretty well. The greatest amount of time was spent marking the top, not the actual final quilting. This first picture is quilting around the motifs with water soluble thread.



The picture below is of the quilt before I soaked it to remove the blue marking line and the water soluble thread..... and the final picture is of the quilt being blocked. As it was wet and can shrink up it is important to block the quilt but pinning it to the correct length and width. I will definitely be doing more of this type of quilting... as I really enjoyed it.








Thought for the Day
And finally, I want to acknowledge that making changes in your life is never an easy task. The key, however, is not to get caught up in the distance you have to go to get to where you want to be. Nor should you despair over the amount of control you have over your circumstances. Progress is made in the small, intentional steps, and chances are, you have more power than you think. By focusing on little steps you can take every day, the progress you make will motivate you to continue your journey, and eventually, you can go wherever you want to go. The important thing is simply to begin. Stephen Cherniske

3 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Nice work Debbie!
And that quote is perfect for what my daughter is going through right now, so I sent it to her. Thanks.

Shirley said...

Deb- You told me you were happy with this quilt and you had good reason.

I just posted a post on my blog and it is featuring 365 quilting patterns - one for each day of the year. It is in my latest post (click on the heading) I saw all sorts of patterns for my borders and I am sure you would find it interesting.

I know you will enjoy having a serger.



Shirley

Teresa said...

Congrats on the serger - you can never go wrong with a Janome! You did an awesome job on the quilt.